Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Challenge: Week I - Baseline


Week 1 - Baseline

When we set goals, goals should be specific, measure and be time-bound. Why?

Goals should be specific to give you clarity of what you are striving for.  They should be measurable so that you can objectively prove that you have met your goal. It should also be time-bound so that you can see an end date to your goal. 

This week we begin by establishing a baseline. A baseline is a measurement served as a comparison.  Our baseline for this challenge consists of the amount of approachable opportunities we currently create? 

What does creating an approachable opportunity mean? 

Creating an approachable opportunity means any occasion where you position yourself for a successful approach as an approacher or as the approachable. 

How much times do you currently position yourself for a successful approach? 

At the end of this 8 weeks, we hope to realistically increase this number.


My baseline:

I currently create approachable opportunities about 50% of all the times that I go out to an event. I rated myself at 50% because sometimes, it takes a lot of energy for me to interact.  I love the outcome I get when interacting but at the same time I have to be in the mood to initiate. I try to attend networking events and mix and mingles whenever I hear about them and I try to create approachable opportunities at events that don't encourage an interactive at atmosphere. I also do not limit my interactions, I interact with males and females because my intent is to build friendly relationships. I want to continue to do this, so that I can improve my approachable opportunities to 75% by the end of the 8 week period. 


What's your baseline?

Please comment below. 

10 comments:

  1. Setting goals isnt a hard thing to do reall. Setting feasible realistic goals that one can actually follow through with is the true issue. I know personally I tryto push myself when I am setingmy goals. I guess there is a need for me to actualy think through the 5w when setting my goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at your current situation also helps. That why when you look over your progress you can see how much you have improved. For this week's challenge, think about how much times you take advantage of an approachable opportunity. Is it 1/2 times? Is it 3/4 times? Then comment how much you think you can realistically improve that number by the end of the 8 weeks.

      Delete
    2. Well in that case my baseline wobbles between 0 and 2. If I am around acquaintances then I make myself more approachable. I hope to be able to be a constant 4/4 by the end of the 8wks by God's grace.

      Delete
    3. Good stuff. Sounds like a plan :)

      Delete
  2. Hello to everyone else on the journey. I tend to miss numerous opportunities for approaching so it's pretty simple to figure out my baseline.

    Successfully approaching to me would be getting some contact info by the end of the interaction sooooo my baseline per week is 0 with the random interactions here and there.

    I actually had a good opp on new year's to approach someone who I shared eye contact with every now and again but she was sitting with fam so I didn't want to cross that boundary. I would have tried of she was alone. My friend told me I should have tried anyway and I agree.

    That night I tweeted about not missing anymore opportunities so this challenge comes at a good time.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for establishing your baseline and sharing your experience on New Years.

      Most times, it is hard to approach someone in a group so it's understandable why you missed out on that opportunity. It is much easier to approach someone when they are alone. That girl you had your eye should join the approach2link community so that she could know how to be more approachable by stepping away from the group :).

      Looking forward to seeing your progress from your current baseline :)

      Delete
  3. I thought about this question very carefully and I would have to say none. I do not consider myself approachable nor would I approach anyone unless I knew them personally. I have heard about mix and mingles and networking seminars and never thoughts once to attend. To make matters worse I hate public speaking, I get nervous, I mumble and stutter which in turn shatters my self esteem and confidence.
    So by the end of this 8 week challenge I know I will be in a position for a successful approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your honesty. It is a good thing when you can recognize things about yourself without having someone tell you. It looks like you are open to becoming more approachable and even try approaching so cheers to the days to come :)

      Delete
  4. I rarely take advantage of approachable situations so my baseline would be zero. While I wouldn't consider myself shy, I do find it awkward approaching people I don't know. To add to that, I tend to stick with my same group so I guess I don't come across a very approachable. Hoping to improve on that in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes approaching people without an ice breaker or at a good time becomes very awkward. There are some times that are better than others and places that are better than others to create approachable opportunities and we will touch on those in the weeks to come. Thanks for joining this journey :)

      Delete