Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Approachable Experiment: How to be More Approachable at a Social Event

This is the follow up blog to the vlog posted on youtube click here to watch the video.

During August 2011, my friends and I went on a vacation together and most of it was spent on a cruise ship. Carnival Destiny to be exact. On the ship they have this nice spot called "Point After Dance Club." It was a nice place to go to after all the other activities on the ship conclude.

On the last night that we went, I decided to do an experiment. I wanted to know if it was possible to make yourself more approachable in an atmosphere where there is loud music playing making it difficult to approach people. My hypothesis is that it is possible. The method of which I went about doing so required me to step away from my group of friends and look approachable by uncrossing my arms, smiling and making eye contact.

Results:::: It didn't take long for me to grab the attention of one fellow. He walked by me the first time and I smile at him - he smiled back. Then he walked in front of me and stood there with his back turned for a little bit, then turned around and walked passed me again with a smile. The third time he walked passed me and said a joke to me that caused me to laugh then he ventured over to my friends who were sitting down in front of me. They called me over and he mentioned how pretty he thought I was while giving the other girls their compliments. After he left, one of the girls mentioned that they thought that he liked me but I refuted it because I found it weird that he was able to smile with me and crack a joke but he didn't stay to talk with me.

Conclusion:::: I still don't know what to conclude about experiment. I believe it's because it didn't go the way I thought it would have went. I thought he would have talk to me individually as he saw that I was by myself but instead he spoke to me when I was apart of the group.

I believe making yourself more approachable is a good thing but I must say that the environment does play a roll. You wouldn't expect a girl who is single to be by their self at a club. If you do see that you don't know if they are waiting for their man or what. So I can see why a guy would be hesitant to approach you in that environment.

TIPS on being more approachable 
In such a situation, I would suggest that you hang out with your girls and then slip away by yourself a few times through out the night. Try getting a drink or going to the bathroom by yourself. By doing so a guy who notices you will see that you are there with your friends and not with a man. Then when they see you go off by yourself they might take the opportunity to say something to you. But you have to look approachable during those times you walk off on your own. Look in the man's face and smile. You will get some guys you don't want to talk to when you do this but doing this act will help lead you to the guy you actually want to talk to.


Follow Approach2link on twitter @approach2link

No comments:

Post a Comment