Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

How to Approach Someone: Approach someone on your LUNCH BREAK


When you go on your lunch break at work do you ever expect that you will meet someone new that day? Well that happened to me one day.  In fact, I met two new people. Let me share with you...

As I sat in my car waiting for my pizza to cook at the local pizza store, I heard music blasting from a car turning into the parking lot. I looked and I see two guys. At first I thought about pretending like I didn't see them but then the song was recognizable and it changed my mind. It was a gospel song. "They may not be so scary after all, let me give it a try," I thought. They walked into the pizza store, so I immediately started thinking about what I was going to do when I go back in to get my pizza. As I went in, one of the men looked up at me. I smiled and said hi. He smiled back and asked how I was doing. His friend turned and then greeted me as well. The small talk began and it all started with a smile. I noticed a ticket for an upcoming concert in one of their hands. So I commented on it and mentioned that I was going too. So from a smile, to small talk, to conversation. We ended up eating lunch together and then planned to meet up again at the concert. The man that said hi to me first was a promoter for the concert so his friend suggested that the promoter give me his number so that I can connect with them on Saturday. So he gave me his business card. I wouldn't have mind having the friend's number too but I didn't know how to ask for it without looking like I liked him over the other.

When I returned to my car I thought about what I learned from this encounter. The first is to not be afraid to smile and say hi. You never know who you might be able to share your lunch with. In addition, pay attention, you may notice something that will provide a window of opportunity for you to hang out with that person again. And lastly, don't be afraid to initiate contact information exchange. I missed out on getting both numbers but next time I think I have a plan on how I will get both numbers.

What would you do if you saw a group of guys? would you say hi? What would you say in order to get contact information? What if you were attracted to one guy more than the other? How would you handle that situation?

~FA



Follow Approach2link on twitter @approach2link

2 comments:

  1. That was very brave of you. Indeed there is nothing wrong with a smile and a simple hello. However, going past that initial acknowledgement and entertaining small talk, may not always be a good idea with strange men, even if you obviously share similar interests. I don't believe I would say hello to a group of guys that I didn't know unless they greeted me first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed Kathleen, it was brave of me to eat lunch with two strange men. I agree it's not the best idea to do that with every situation but what was safe about this one was the fact that we were in a public setting. Never would I go off with them. That would be crazy. Even if they "seem" nice.

    ReplyDelete